Monday, January 24, 2011

Fresh Smoothies Anyone?!

I'll just say it right now - we have a VitaMix 5200 machine that we got at Costco one weekend.  The guy was there from corporate, and demo'ing all kinds of healthy mixes: ice cream, soup, cole slaw.  After watching all the cool things you can make with this machine, he asked who wanted to take one home...I did!  What color.....um, white, no, black!

It's been about a year now, and we are always enjoying smoothies.  I will tell you - it's really easy, and the clean up is a breeze.

One recipe I've perfected is the yogurt and fresh fruit smoothie.  We put in a handful of ice cubes, two handfuls of frozen fruit (mixed, or berries), yogurt (1 cup), and water.  Options may include: wheat germ, flax seeds, or protein powder (soy?).

You whiz this up for a minute or so, and everyone gets a glass full.  Our little 2 year old, Aimee, says she needs a smoothie - every time - it's cute!




I haven't considered the calories, or nutritional content yet, but the frozen fruit, yogurt, and wheat germ are simple and good - try it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Barb's friend, Mary Dohrenwend, from NY when we were little! I've been looking for a good smootie machine. I'll look into yours. i need one that really demolishes the ice cubes. My favorite recipe is a choc. peanut butter smoothie, approved by my nutritionist! 1 tbls. pb, scoop of chocolate protein powder (I like Jay Robb's), vanilla yogurt, half a frozen banana, a little bit of cinnamon (good for my insulin resistance), and a splash of cocoa powder (unadulterated). Sometimes I throw a little lowfat mild in it to help it mix up well! You can also make this with silken tofu instead of the yogurt! Its super chocolaty that way when it doesn't have to compete with the yogurt flavor. Give it a try and let me know what you think? dohren@sunydutchess.edu or find me on Barb's facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary,
    Yes I know of you through Barb, and FaceBook. Thanks for your comment, and recipe. I'll try it on the kids! In my next life I'm going to be a nutritionist...;-)

    Our blender is more than a blender...follow the link I posted and check it out. These things are not CHEAP! We paid about $400 for ours. I checked Craigslist, and people want good money for theirs. See if you can find one that way though - should be worth a look.

    Cheers,
    Will

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...and consider following too!